March 7, 2017: Meet PAWS NY volunteer, Emily Roy!
Volunteering With PAWS
- Your name: Emily Roy
- Who you help (Client & Pet): Buj and Jake
- Volunteer since: August, 2015
- A typical visit with your client and pet: Jake leads the way on our walk and we go where he wants, when he wants. After a quick stroll around the block, we head back to Buj’s apartment to chat while Jake enjoys hunting the apartment for frozen vegetables.
- A funny or cute moment with your client’s pet: Jake always has a great haircut and gets compliments by people in the building and on the street on his fluff and eye brows.
- Why do you volunteer with Paws NY? I love dogs, but being in NYC, it’s just not feasible for me to have a dog of my own. PAWS is the best of both worlds – I get to have dog time while creating a great friendship and making a difference in someone’s day.
- What would you like to tell any new volunteers joining PAWS NY? Create a friendship! Hanging with the pet is fun, but it’s my chats with the owner that make my week.
Pets at Home
- Pet’s Name(s)/ Age(s)/ Breed(s): Ellie, border collie mutt, 9 years old
- Tell us about your pet, how did you acquire him/her (rescue/adoption/breeder etc.) Ellie is my family pet and was adopted from a local shelter at home in 2008.
- If you adopted from a rescue group, which group did you adopt from? We would love to give them credit on finding such a wonderful home. Saratoga County Animal Shelter in Ballston Spa, NY
- What made you select your pet? We were hoping for a dog that didn’t shed, but when we saw Ellie’s face we couldn’t resist!
- What can you say about your relationship with your pet? What is the best thing about your bond? Ellie is the sweetest, most loving dog my family has ever had. I love going home to visit her.