Hispanic Heritage Month runs from September 15 to October 15 each year. This national event traditionally honors the cultures and contributions of the Hispanic and Latinx communities while celebrating the heritage rooted in all Latin American countries.
September 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for the Latin American countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Belize, Mexico, and Chile also celebrate their independence days on September 10, 16 and September 18, respectively.
Throughout the month, we encourage you to learn more and celebrate through individuals’ stories, art, webinars, and more!
- General Resources for National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latinx History is Black History Presentation
- Current Latin Art Exhibitions in NYC
- Rising Stars of the Latino Community in NYC
- Latino Civil Rights Timeline, 1903 to 2006, via Learning for Justice
- Latino Americans Timeline via PBS
PAWS NY always welcomes Spanish speakers to volunteer with our clients, particularly those in Upper Manhattan and Astoria.
Do you have an event, article, or other resource to share? Email us now!